The Light House is a Christian-based registered charity which provides a general counselling service to the whole community irrespective of race, gender, age, sexual orientation, belief and social background. We offer counselling in all areas of need including: depression, anxiety, sexual problems (including abuse victims), eating disorders, problems with anger, bereavement, terminal illness and all types of relationship difficulties.
The Light House was established in 1986 and receives requests to provide counselling assistance from hundreds of people every year. Many of the referrals come from GPs, health advisory lines, churches and voluntary organisations such as Samaritans. Others are recommended to come by family or friends, many of whom have used the service themselves. We currently employ 5 counsellors and 3 part time administrators. Alongside the paid staff we also have a large team of volunteer associate counsellors and some voluntary administrative help.
Counselling is provided by qualified personnel and also by students who are working towards gaining a diploma or foundation degree in counselling, and have been declared ‘fit to practice’ by their course tutors and Light House staff. All of the counsellors at Light House receive regular clinical supervision of their practice as required by counselling’s professional bodies codes of practice, as an additional quality control. The overall cost of providing a counselling session is £35.00, and clients are invited to make a donation towards the cost of their counselling.
We are aware that individual’s circumstances vary greatly, and increasingly we are seeing clients who do not have a regular income, but no one is refused counselling because of an inability to pay. In order to support our work beyond client donations, additional Light House funding comes from a number of sources including Grant Making Trusts, individual gifts, and church gifts. We also have some funding through the local NHS CCG. We encourage individual gifts and client donations to be given through the Gift Aid scheme.
You can support the work of the Light House, in a number of ways, for example:
- by praying for us,
- Helping with fundraising(can be as simple as holding a coffee morning or starting a DVD Library and donating the money to the Light House)
- Volunteering for administrative support
- Organising a specific event, and/or using any hidden talents that could be used to raise money
- Direct donations – please use the ‘MAKE A DONATION’ button below to make a donation via Give as you Live. This is a fully secure process that will protect your personal information to the highest standards. Online Donors have the opportunity to register their gift for Gift Aid tax refunds, and you may also elect to give regular donations via Direct Debit using this system – more details are available when you go through the donation process.
- Support us when you shop online – when you sign up and purchase goods and services online via a special link, the supplier will make a donation to the Light House automatically – select the button below for more information.
If you would like to make an enquiry about supporting us in any of these ways (or any other way!) please complete the General Enquiry form to let us know what you are doing or for any advice and help. If you would like to support us but you do not wish to use the online donation facility then please send your donation to: The Administrator The Light House 1A Argyll Street COVENTRY, CV2 4FJ All donations may be Gift Aided to get additional revenue via the Government Tax system – please enquire for details before sending your gift. Thank you for your interest and support!